Monday, June 25, 2012

Bus Monitor Bullied

First we saw the viral video of school bus monitor Karen Klein being bullied on the bus by middle school boys, and it rang a few bells with people.


Next we heard of generous donations pouring in to help give poor Karen Klein a vacation. The original goal was $5,000 - a respectable amount for a public school employee whose yearly salary is $15,000.

Then the donations poured in and the next day the total was a whopping $30,000! And the latest I hear put the final figure at $540,000!! Eleven times the original goal, and a cool half million dollars. I'm sure the poor bus monitor couldn't have imagined such an outpouring of support that humiliating day on the bus.

The bullies have since apologized for their shocking behavior, and rightfully so. They should also have to do some kind of community service, but that's just my opinion.

Now the conversation is turning to the plight of teachers and principals in this day of cyber bullying. And about time, too!

I'm very happy things worked out so well for Mrs. Klein. I wish her only good things in her future.

And I wish the same sort of successful outcome for all bullying victims - whether their torment becomes a viral video, or not.

2 comments:

  1. I could so easily put myself in her place. However, I doubt I could have behaved with as much dignity and restraint as she did. I hope the video has opened the eyes of an unaware public and opened a dialog for parents, students, teachers and school administrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your mouth to God's ears, Ms Sparrow!

      Delete