Sunday, June 3, 2012

American History Changing Novels

I have always loved books that stir stuff up, either socially or solely within me. So today I thought I'd pass along two of my favorite American political shock waving titles - AND I found them for free on Amazon.com!

All you need is an Amazon account and an e-reader or app. If you don't own a Kindle you can still read these two history changing novels by downloading a FREE Kindle app for other devices, such as PC's, phones, pads, and others. See the link just to the right of this article. And yes, it really is free, and so are these books:

When I first read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle I became increasingly supportive of federal regulations with regard to preparation and packaging of meats. Poor Sinclair said something like this once, "I aimed for their hearts but hit their stomachs." Read this book before you eat your next can of spam.




I love Uncle Tom's Cabin, not because of the story or the style of prose, although it's a fun read, but because it started a war.  Harriet Beecher Stowe was a middle aged female author who was passionate about an issue, and through her dramatization captured the hearts and imaginations of not only her own country, but the world. President Lincoln said at the time that there would have been no Civil War without Uncle Tom's Cabin, and he was right.  I've linked here to a free Kindle version for those who haven't had the pleasure of reading this yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment